Engineering General Education Exception Form

Please note, this form is for students who are either pre- or full major status in the John and Marcia Price College of Engineering. Students who are not a part of PCOE should contact their major advisor or the Academic Advising Center.

To fill out the general education exceptions form, you will need to do the following:

  • Enter your 8-digit Student ID. Note, your Student ID is not your uNID. Your uNID is a derivative of the Student ID with a “u” replacing the first digit. Your Student ID is listed on your UCard.
  • In the fields provided, enter the name of the course (e.g. Psych 1010 or POLS 3950) and the College/University (e.g. University of Colorado) that administered it.
  • Select the General Education code that matches the requirement you want this course to satisfy.
  • Provide a concise (1-2 paragraph) description of the course.
  • Attach a concise, but compelling argument that includes the following:
      • An explanation of how the appealed course fulfills the criteria for the requirement.
      • It may also be helpful to find a similar course taught at the University of Utah.
  • Attach the course syllabus.
  • Attach your Degree Audit Report. Save and submit in PDF or other digital format.
  • If you are a second Bachelor’s degree student, please upload an unofficial or official transcript from the transfer institution which shows course and grade.

We will communicate our decision with you by e-mail using your uMail address. Please note, this process can take up to 4 weeks.

General Education Exception Form

Gen Ed Exception Form

If you are looking to submit a course taught by the University of Utah, please petition the course with the Academic Advising Center

Are you a 2nd bachelor’s degree student?

Maximum file size: 209.72MB

Please note, this is not a requirement. However, a syllabus can help strengthen your case for an exception.

Maximum file size: 209.72MB

Attach a Personal Statement that includes an explanation of how the appealed course fulfills the criteria for the requirement. If the course was completed at the University of Utah, please petition it with the Academic Advising Center.

Maximum file size: 209.72MB

For us to be able to review your exception, the course you are submitting for exception must be present on your Degree Audit

Maximum file size: 209.72MB

Attach your transcript from your prior institution. Second bachelor seeking students should always attach a transcript.